I have been looking for some easy projects for making some new Church clothes, so when I stumbled upon this great black and copper fabric, I had an immediately idea. I bought the fabric at a yard sale for 50 cents. I am not sure how much fabric there originally was because I used most of it for the skirt. I believe that it previously had been used from some project because there were traces of gathering at the top, but it had never been finished.
I brought the fabric home, washed and ironed it. It had a tear about 8-10 inches long in from one of the edges, so I trimmed that piece and plan and plan on making something to match from it. I sewed the two sides together, and had one humongous tube. I initially gathered the top of the skirt and found it was much too long. I could not cut off the bottom because of the design panel. I cut off 3-4 off the top and regathered the whole thing (there is quite a bit of gathering). I cut a piece of 3″ elastic to fit around my waist and stitched the ends together. I matched the gathered skirt to the elastic in four places, and basted the elastic in place. I then used my double needle (first time ever and it worked great!) to stitch two lines to hold the elastic to the skirt. I finished the skirt off by using the double needle again to make a 2-3 inch hem along the bottom. The length was a little weird, which is why it had such a large hem.