Paperbag Skirts for Lady Grace

One of my goals for the year is to complete all of the projects that I currently have in process. Although most of these projects are book related, there are a few more personal ones. You will probably see a number of posts related to these projects in the coming weeks.

One of the bigger projects is reducing my fabric stash/sewing clothes for Lady Grace. Since moving back to Utah, I have realized that I have lots of fabric, and it is better in use than in a box. And these skirts are an example.

At Christmas, I made stockings for our family and my brother and sister-in-law. I had some extra fabric and wanted to make some nerdy skirts with it. I also wanted to try making a paper bag skirt.
image
image

image

I used this tutorial from Simple Simon and Co. It was so quick and easy to sew up. The first one probably took about 45 minutes to see and the second one only 30 minutes. Each skirt only needed 1/4 yard of fabric, but I will need more in the future.

Lady Grace is slightly small for her age (read tall and lean), so I loved that I could customize the size to fit her height and weight. There will probably be more of these skirts in the future.

image

image

image

And she seems to like them. Both fabrics are from Joanns.

Embroidered Baby Onesies

My cousin is having a baby girl at the end of August. She will be the first grandbaby, and thus is very spoiled. Lots of family was already in town for a cousin’s wedding, so there was lots of fun and tons of presents (people apparently love babies more than newlyweds). I knew that I wanted to do some embroidery for her and something small because they will be moving in the coming months, so I settled on doing several onesies. I used five 0-3 month old onesies and 3 3-6 month ones. The patterns included Mollie of Wild Olive’s Merry MateysLittle Owls, and Curiouser. I used four of the five Little Owls, the Pillaging Pirate from Merry Mateys (I thought he was a peg legged owl), and the Mad Hatter from Curiouser. I also made up two patterns roughly based on Dana’s sprinkle shirts. I did a “K” since my cousin and her husband’s last name is Kelley, and I did a heart. Out of all of them, the heart is definitely the most girly, but hopefully they can use the others for their next children as well.

 

These were so much fun to make, and made my daily bus right more enjoyable. And I finally successfully completed a french knot. I am super excited to get some additional embroidery done this summer and try some new techniques. Enjoy!
Tommie